For more than 15 years I served in the military. Most people know that the military have a set standard for fitness and it is mandatory for service members to remain in shape at all times. When I joined in 1998 I was about 175 pounds and over the course of 16 years I gained more than 20 pounds to include muscles.
By the time I separated in 2014 I was about 199 pounds. Within four years after my separation I loss muscle mass and gain weight in the face and abdomen. This was due to my lack of working out and constant intake of alcoholic beverages. Now that I have a child and I am much older I have to consider how my health may affect my ability to interact with my child. This motivated me to move forward with a workout routine that can show results progressively. Another motivator was watching the below documentary about juicing. For more information about weight loss and juicing visit the website at http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/.
1My Rebooting Effort In The Next 30 Days
The movie was an eye opener and it was the push I needed to take working out seriously again. That means I will challenge myself by committing a structured meal and workout plan.
- I will start with 10 days of drinking nothing but juice and one hour of physical activities.
- I will then incorporate a salad into one of the meal for the next 30 days.
- If I feel good, I will try to extend it to 60 days.
The goal is to lose at least 10-15 pounds, detox my body and increase more vegetable and fruits in my normal daily meals. Since I know there may be other people who want to share in this adventure I am going to live blog my progress on a daily basis. The below is the daily plan I will be using during this process.
The thought of giving up regular meals for juice was difficult, but I thought about how I gave up eating all meat except fish years ago. It was not easy but it was doable. So this is doable for the first 10 days. If I can make it then I will continue.
- Drink three (3) 10 oz. mug of vegetable and fruit juice for each meal.
- If drinking juice for every meal is hard, modify it by adding a salad for lunch or for dinner. The salad should consist of fresh vegetables and a choice of protein if desired.
- Do not eat anything processed nor add them to the salad or juice. Homemade salad dressing should be acceptable.
3Daily Workout Routine
To sustain a balanced life, juicing alone will not do it. Some form of physical activity must be involved. While I was in the military we utilize several forms of physical activities on a daily basis that allowed us to maintain our height and weights.
- Once a day do a physical activity such as walking, running or swimming.
- If one prefer going to gym, do similar activities with the variety of machines that are available and ones you are comfortable using.
- Do not over exert oneself by working out for more than 1 hour. One hour per day is sufficient.
4Daily Snack Replacements
Throughout the day, I normally eat peanuts, almonds, chips to snack on while at work. Unfortunately some those choices were filled with salt and other unhealthy compounds and may not be good for our fitness and health. In order to maintain the process, those snacks should be substituted with more healthier choices.
- Eat 1-2 vegetable or fruits between meals daily.
- The choices can be grapes, apples, bananas, carrots, celery, green pepper or any other fresh fruit and vegetable.
- Watch your fruit intake because too much could increase your sugar intake.
5Daily Hydration Plan
The fact that we workout several times a week for fitness and often outside in hot and humid conditions, we were always advised to stay hydrated because becoming a heat casualty is not good. So while you are going through this routine, increase your water intake to remain hydrated at all times.
- Drink water, lots of it. I plan on drinking from my 64 oz. Under Armour water bottle throughout the day.
- It doesn’t matter what size container you have, just make sure to stay hydrated throughout the day. You can tell by the color of the urine.